Friday, February 12, 2016

Tour Diary: Day 16 Open Mic Introduction

Friday... I'm playing an open mic up in New Freedom, PA.  The Wagonshed, a small venue that has a pretty big following.  Should be fun.

Open mics were a big thing for me back in 2004... my good friend ellen cherry
ellen cherry in Dunkin Donuts
and I used to travel to at least two a night if we could make it work... it was fun... it was silly... I was sitting in my apartment on a Monday night and I was bored... and thought... "Man, I should be playing somewhere..." So, I called her up and said... let's hit some open mics..."  and she said... "Yes!" 

I did not anticipate the culture we'd encounter... I figured there would be different degrees of abilities... but nothing like what we stumbled into... 4 different type of players emerged...

1.  The host
2.  The first timer
3.  The hobbyist
4.  The veteran

Unfortunately, I don't have much time today to put this together this morning... however, look for updates over this weekend...  plus, I will send some notes from the North Carolina... I'm avoiding terms like, "The Road" or "#tourlife"  or "Road Dog"  or... any other label... You can classify it as a short tour... how about "Interstate Jaunt?"  One thing I'm trying to avoid is the selfie... thanks for looking! 

so much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens

William Carlos Williams

Grimm

No comments: