Monday, February 01, 2016

Tour Diary: Day 5 Ultimate Total Access

After the forty-eight hour rule... do you start bugging people? 

I used bug the poor people at the 930 club when they also booked Fletcher's on Bond Street.  Remember that place?  To me... and at the time I running the band Factory Horse, it was the goal... I had several benchmarks in booking and Fletcher's was basically the ultimate goal.  Look at the people who had played there:  Miracle Legion, the Silos, Whiskeytown... If we could get in there... well.  We would have made it.

Ah, the dreams of the narrow sighted. But it was cool... we finally got a show there opening for Todd Thibaud.  He was from Boston, I think... and the sound check was cool because we had never had an actual monitor mix... then we had access to the mystical upstairs green room.  And there... the magic faded pretty quick... it was just a room... with a refrigerator, all the power amps, and some couches that, without any doubt, had probably been wiped down several times with bleach... or at least one would have hoped.  That was it... dingy and fluorescent light lit.  Feel the magic. Still, it was cool.

Cool because of access... one of the things I like about performing on stage is the fact that it is your stage for forty minutes.  This is the place... no matter how large... for your band, or you, to share. It has limited access and therefore you are special... to break it down in elementary terms like that, it seems a bit silly... but that would be over simplifying the situation.  It's not that much different than going to see a film... you sit in one direction and you watch a presentation... same deal. Sort of. 

The point of all this blather?  Perseverance.  You have to be willing to follow up, follow up, follow up, and then follow up a little more.  Almost every success in my life has been due to being myself and following up... That's where the forty-eight hour rule comes into play... it's not to throw my hands up in the air and say, I might have guessed... it's to say... "Okay... let me go back again and see my correspondence... maybe they're more active on Facebook?  Should I call... (which btw, never really happens much... in fact, I get a small kick out of some places that require a hardcopy press kit... the internet may have destroyed parts of the music industry... but one plus is the ease at which you can book shows...)

Okay... so this post feels a bit lame... but I didn't have much time to write it today... back to school and I have a mixing session with J Robbins at Magpie Cage... but I'll leave you with a small story about access... June Star opened for the Silos at Fletcher's, Drew Glackin (whom passed some years ago) gave us a warm applause after our set... as we climbed those mystical steps to the green room... he was laying on of the, hopefully sanitized sofas, and climbing his hands and he said, "Well done boys, welcome to the club."

Grimm


No comments: