Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Tour Diary: Day 12-13 Mig and the Principles of Rehearsal

I'm not sure what else I'd be doing: music and teaching.  I found myself, at the end of college in 1994, thinking about that next step, that unformed space waiting--a space composed of deep darkness, endless really, and a defining light. Like, for me, seriously, it seemed like anything could be possible, the same perspective held by one of my cats, Mig.


After I had moved back to Westminster, my first goal was get a couple of cats... enter Mig and Mouse.  They're littermates and all-around boys.  Katie Field, artist superstar had stopped by for something... we may have been rehearsing for the September Hopscotch opening party in Raleigh, anyhow, Mig was going through his "Look at me, I'm a cat!" phase and leaping here and there... and at one point, he stopped and started staring at the ceiling fan.  He was doing the math in his head.  Katie turned and said admiringly, "Look at that.  Anything is possible.  No limits."


Many times we limit ourselves... we tell ourselves:  "There's not enough money."  OR "I don't think I'm cut out for that."  OR  "I thought I had pulled the emergency brake."  OR "I thought booking a show on Super Bowl Sunday would be okay."


Okay... I started this entry yesterday... and I didn't finish... for various reasons... I don't think I will finish. 

From time to time I am reminded, sometimes gently and sometimes mockingly, the only person who truly cares about your songs is you. 

Grimm


1 comment:

thgepassenger said...

I care about those songs too, and listen to them often...