Saturday, January 10, 2009

in the morning (blahg # 10)

the early morning
hours are about
my most favorite,
i suppose. i
am my most
creative as well.
it is unclear
as to why
but it's true.

the cold morning
air patiently slipping
under the door,
the coffee pot
gurgling to completion.
my wife breathing
sleepily under covers.
these are the
sounds that accompany
my typing and
my thinking.

if the moment
is broken with
the ring of
the phone or
a knock on
the door, momentum
may never return.
it does not
seem to be
a muscular concept
does it? momentum
is not merely
exercise. it is
will and physics.
emotional physics perhaps.
yes, that's the
jaunx. emotional physics.

makes sense, right?

grimm

1 comment:

carla said...

In the book everything and more: a compact history of infinity, david foster wallace speaks repeatedly of the type of thinking that occurs in the early morning hours, before the daily routine starts.

the book itself is about the abstract concept of infinity and how it came to be treated as a regular math quantity (despite the lack thereof), which is used in algebra equations.

He argues that it is the early morning thinking that allows for abstract enough thought to tackle tough problems. A time which is particularly ripe for questioning. And that once reality sets in, and the routine starts, the questions stop.

Myself, when I wake up in the morning and anyone happens to be over, I will immediately start theorizing out loud and I don't shut up until breakfast. I have had a few complaints about that.