Tuesday, January 08, 2008

a day in-between

sorry to take the day off from
ye olde blogge.

musical invention
inadvertant and infectious
commenced last night in
the basement.
playing around with
a new pedal i got mah hands
on and boy does
it sound supah cool. messing
around, i found a some neato lil' riffs
and built a song around
it.
layered
layered
layered
as they say.

now for lyrics.

creativity is fun and frightening.
there are times
when i think the well has dried
up. fawm is approaching and
i'm still unsure of my
participation. maybe it will be a
half hearted thing this year. then
i can scrape the bottom of that
barrell for a new collection.
i do want to hit a studio in april
to record a new album.

i dont' care about the june star album
cora belle. so tired of it, i just
wish it would go away and leave me
alone. jan. 16th will be the last show
for a while... i'll be out an about but
june star will be sitting idle
thinking about what it did wrong and
what it needs to do to be a better
person.

grimm

1 comment:

adam miller said...

I finally got a good sit-down listen (actually, a double listen) to Cora Belle, though I got it from you a month ago. I wanted to sit down and really absorb it. Man, it was worth the wait.

It has a different feel than what I've come to expect (right or wrong) from a June Star record. It does feel more like one of your solo deals but, as we've sort of discussed, where does that line begin it's blur? I will tell you this - it has a more "Pop" sensibility at times than other June Star or even solo records. I mean that in the best possible way. What I mean is, take a song like Valentine... it's very "hook driven" and I don't know if I can think of another song of yours that has that sort of feel.

There are some great songs on that disk. My only question is if some of their growth was stunted by the two man approach... not able to breathe the way they do live with a full band cranking all at once.

I understand the feeling of being too far ahead of the artifact. But, it's a good record. Don't be so ready to run out on it. From my end, it's at the very least an interesting document of the artist at the time.