Sunday, September 27, 2009

saluting to people

ellen cherry was
playing in the
early evening hours
at the baltimore
book festival. rhythm
and beer for
me. i saw
her previously at
the artscape place.
very well done
and smart. she
and i have
logged some time
on the road
and in the
baltimore. she has
been doing very
well as of
late. climbing the
hills that have
adequate surface but
ever shifting traction.
i'm happy for
her and the
success she has
been building. we
first met when
i had a
solo show at
mum's and needed
an opener. i
had been obsessively
going to baltimorebands.com
and sifting through
local music, a
precarious activity when
it comes to
quality and i
happened upon her
site. i read
through it a
while before the
show came up
and when pressed
to find someone
to open i
thought... why not?

it was a
good night and
i was happy
to hear someone
playing and thinking
about music... she
plays with ownership
of the music....
that was... 2004ish
2005ish... and i
hear her now
i'm really impressed.
she's found found
her voice and
her songs are
taking a form
outside of arrangement
and rehearsal. good
things for sure.

also... for giggles...
the other night
i googled for
a song i
taped off the
radio in 1988
or 89... 99.1
whfs was a
different radio station
then... the type
of station that
would play a
song once and
you wouldn't hear
that tune for
another three days...

anyhow... i taped
a song by
the jack rubies
called, "the book
of love" because it
had some great
acoustic guitars, which
i was into
at the time...
seein that i
had just started
playing... but anyhoo...
the song that
came on after
"the book of
love" just rocked...
real country and
raw... english country.

i always wanted
to know who sang
it and every
once in a
while i would
google a couple
of words... from
the tune to
avail... but last
night it showed
up... "going back
to Coventry" by
the men they
couldn't hang. then
i found them
on itunes... can
you believe it.

shocking, just shocking.

chapter closed for
me.

grimm

1 comment:

oylenshpeegul said...

I'm glad you did, because I have her to thank for introducing me to one of my favorite musicians...Andrew Grimm. The first time I saw you was when I had gone out to see ellen cherry at the Ram's Head Roadhouse (that was in 2004, so the Mum's gig you're talking about must have been 2004 or earlier). I had seen her band at Mick O'Shea's a year or so earlier, but I had never seen her solo. After her set, we were about to leave, but decided to stick around and see what the next guy sounded like. I was bowled over! I bought a copy of Songs from an Engineer's Daughter that night and was shocked to learn that such an amazing record had existed for several years without my noticing. I have seen Andrew Grimm and June Star perform a few more times since then and it's always fantastic. And I am forever in debt to ellen cherry for introducing me.